Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The ten surprising, humbling, or enlightening things I've learned from my ancestors

Hopefully my ancestors will approve of what I've learned from them:

1. Just because there was poverty does not mean there was no joy. There was an amazing sense of community within some of the very poor neighbourhoods I have been studying. Certain members of my family have been credited as "willing to give you the shirt off their backs". People who had less than nothing, so to speak, still generously shared anything they did have, be it a cup of tea or a crust of bread. It humbles me and fills me with gratitude.

2. Marriage did not always precede children, and may or may not have followed them. This surprises and oddly delights me because it undoes the idea that my ancestors followed all the rules. One of my favourite sayings is: "If you play by the rules, you miss all the fun."

3. The sense of disconnection between family members runs deep and can be traced back many generations. Some people seem to disappear for no readily apparent reason.

4. Family members often lived within a couple of blocks of each other. This seemed particularly true within my Dad's family until it came to his generation.

5. Despite the fact that Canada has a reputation for being one of the friendliest countries in the world, Irish immigrants to Canada were not always welcomed with open arms.

6. The immigration process could be a debasing and demoralizing one.

7. Connections of the emotional variety run far deeper than I had imagined they would.

8. It's been enlightening to discover that things such as the will to political action and social justice can be passed on. I am definitely my grandmother Anne's girl in this case.

9. I've always loved Ireland, but by searching for my family I now feel a stronger connection to her, and an odd sort of longing when I'm away from her shores.

10. The most enlightening thing I've learned is that I now feel very protective of my ancestors. I want to recount their stories, but do it in a way that respects all aspects of who they were.

1 comment:

  1. I love your ten statements. They are wonderful. As I read them, I thought why am I just now finding your blog.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are always deeply appreciated; however, in the spirit of true collegiality, I ask that you do not write something you would not say to me in person.

There is a proliferation of SPAM on this blog, so unfortunately comments moderation must be in operation for posts older than two days.

Any comments that are mean-spirited, include URLs which are not connected to the post topic, contain misinformation, or in any way resemble advertising, will be removed. Anonymous comments which do not bear the name of the person commenting within the body of the comment, or are clearly generated from fake Google or Blogger accounts, will also be deleted.

Cheers, Jennifer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...