Friday, February 14, 2014

'All my fond heart would say...': Happy Valentine's Day

Mike & Mary, my mom & dad.
Last year on Valentine's Day I laid out a 'roll call of love', featuring unions on my family tree — beginning with John Cavenaugh and Allice Howard in 1760 (revisit that post here) — but on this Valentine's Day I send all my best wishes to you with a traditional Irish verse about love, entitled 'The Lark in the Clear Air'. The verse is set alongside images of sweethearts on my family tree who plighted their troth to one another for life.

'The Lark In The Clear Air' is sometimes sung or recited at weddings, or on other occasions in which love is the focus of the day. Also, at the end of the post I have included a YouTube video of Irish songstress Cara Dillon's rendition of the verse, accompanied by the Ulster Orchestra.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, one and all!
May you have much love in your life, 
today and always.

Dear thoughts are in my mind
And my soul soars enchanted,
As I hear the sweet lark sing
In the clear air of the day.
For a tender beaming smile
To my hope has been granted,
And tomorrow she shall hear
All my fond heart would say.

I shall tell her all my love,
All my soul's adoration,
And I think she will hear
And will not say me nay.
It is this that gives my soul
All its joyous elation,
As I hear the sweet lark sing
In the clear air of the day.

From my maternal tree: Left: John & Marie; Right: Desmond & Kate

From my paternal tree: The Bride and Groom: Enda & Marie; Enda's brother John is on the far right.



©irisheyesjg2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are always deeply appreciated; however, in the spirit of true collegiality, I ask that you do not write something you could not say to me in person.

There is a proliferation of SPAM on this blog, so unfortunately comments moderation must be in operation.

Any comments that are mean-spirited, include URLs which are not connected to the post topic, contain misinformation, or in any way resemble advertising, will be removed. Anonymous comments which do not bear the name of the person commenting within the body of the comment, or are clearly generated from fake Google or Blogger accounts, will also be deleted.

Cheers, Jennifer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...